Monday, September 11, 2006

Thoughts on the 5th Anniversary of September 11th (09/11/2006)


Click on Graphic to Enlarge



The below is an extract from my Journal the week of September 11, 2001. It is exactly as I entered it into the Handspring Visor I had at that time.

"12:42 pm: Liberty State Park – across the river from Ground Zero

We get out of our car and walk through a circle of American flags flying at half-mast. We walk along the causeway towards Ellis Island. It is very dramatic to see the Statue of Liberty standing in that smoke plume that is being blown across the river. Through the smoke, the gold torch is burning so bright in reflected sunlight.


The smoke descends on us as we look through a telescope at the mountain of broken glass and masonry. The sadness of knowing there may be thousands of people trapped under that debris is beyond all belief. Our throats are hurting from breathing the smoke. There is a nearby car playing “America” through a bullhorn on the roof. It is an overwhelming moment.

When I watched the news on September 11th, it just did not seem real. That is why I came here. I came here to connect to it so I could understand it. What I learned from this visit is that it is just too far removed from what can be comprehended."


Five years later, I still feel that I can’t connect to it. What I do know is that we need to remember. We need to remember those who perished in the 3 locations. We need to remember their families and loved ones. We need to never forget those first responders who freely risked their lives and health.

The world seems to have become a much worse place than it was before September 11, 2001. In spite of this, it is my hope and my belief that when this century ends, the world will be at peace. I hope I am not being too naive.

I didn't bring my camera on that day because I thought it would be obscene to take pictures. I ended up taking a few photographs using a disposable camera that I bought in the area. I still have mixed feelings about having done so. Those pictures are posted at the top of this post.

One of the photos is of the Katyn Forest Monument. The statue is at Exchange Place in Jersey City. It sits directly across the river from Ground Zero. The monument shows a man with a bayonet in his back. In spite of being stabbed in the back, he is still standing. I thought that this scene with the smoke filled Ground Zero in the background was very poignant. - Korba

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home